Saturday, September 19, 2009

How bad will it be?

Has there ever been a game with a 30-point spread that's gotten more hype than Florida-Tennessee? I kinda doubt it. I also really don't think Florida is 30 points better than Tennessee, but I have to imagine that some of those 30 points are coming from the assumed revenge factor.

Personally, I'm not so sure it'll be the blowout everyone's expecting. Florida might be this year's version of the GREATEST TEAM EVER, but Tennessee had one of the best rush defenses in the country last year, and with Monte Kiffin now in charge, I can't see even the genius of Urban Meyer being able to generate 40-plus points against the Vols.

The only question is whether Tennessee can get more than about 10. I don't think there's any way they can keep up if the Gators' offense plays anywhere near its capabilities, especially the way Jonathan Crompton looked last week against UCLA. When your senior starter inspires a post from Orson at Every Day Should Be Saturday titled "Five reasons why starting a giant catfish at quarterback for Tennessee is the right call" -- and I'm not entirely sure if he's joking -- that's not a good sign. I'm expecting mostly a run-run-run gameplan from Lane Kiffin, along with a whole lot of praying for turnovers and possibly a Tim Tebow injury.

You know that as bad as Meyer wants to KILL DEATH DESTROY Tennessee, Kiffin wants to win just as badly. Will it matter? Probably not, but I think the Vols understand how low the expectations are and will surprise some people by keeping it relatively competitive.

Prediction: Florida 30, Tennessee 13.

No comments: