Saturday, July 18, 2009

It's on in the Bronx

The rumored Notre Dame-Army matchup at Yankee Stadium is officially set for 2010. There will be gold helmets everywhere, and apparently this won't be a one-time deal for the cadets:
The Hudson Valley-based Times Herald-Record, citing unidentified Army sources, said Friday that Army also will play games at Yankee Stadium in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons. Rutgers and possibly Syracuse could be involved in future games at the stadium, a person familiar with the scheduling told the AP on condition of anonymity.
My interest level in a Rutgers-Army game will be fairly low regardless of where it's played, but the rich history surrounding Notre Dame, Army and Yankee Stadium makes the 2010 game must-see TV. I didn't even know this until I stumbled across it in a story, but the two schools played at the original Yankee Stadium every year from 1925-1946, and renewing old traditions is almost never a bad idea.

Like I said two months ago, I don't care if Army is terrible or if Notre Dame falls into a relapse of mediocrity; NBC can go ahead and put me down as a viewer for this one.

No comments: