Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reason #3,742,818 why I love college football

Nebraska lost to Iowa State 9-7 last year -- at home, no less -- by committing a ridiculous eight turnovers, including four inside the Iowa State 5-yard line. It was one of the most bizarre games I've ever seen; I even wrote about it at the time.

The Cyclones were 18 1/2-point underdogs, were playing without starting QB Austen Arnaud AND star running back Alexander Robinson and put up 239 total yards and no touchdowns. And they won (their first win in Lincoln in 33 years).

There's no accurate word to describe it other than "lucky." Paul Rhoads probably knew this -- he just didn't care. He was riding a wave of adrenaline that could have carried him halfway back to Ames, and it led to one of the great locker room speeches of all-time (and I don't mean great in a Mike Gundy "I'm a man!" way):



That's what it's all about, right?

No comments: